Vast Horizon Policies
The following are some player conduct items. This policy may be updated as warranted.
1. Please be respectful of others while playing Vast Horizon. The constant bashing of sexual orientation, religious beliefs and racism will not be tolerated. IC, we are not telling you that you must like or agree with race, religion or sexual orientation, just be careful with it. The chances of staff allowing a zealous character who wants to be a jerk and throw racial slurs at everybody are zero.
2. Berating a player OOCly because they may not be as proficient behind the keyboard as you is not tolerated. People come from all walks of life, speak many languages and have many disabilities. Please be mindful of this before you start making fun of somebody. Helping others out is a good thing but do so without being rude.
3. We have various channels for a reason and ask that you abide by the guidelines for each channel.
The newbie channel is for receiving and giving assistance on features of the game, not to engage in IC or OOC conversations.
The CWS (conversation with staff) channel is not for reporting bugs nor game mechanic help discussions. It is for brief conversations. It is not to be used as a channel for giving reports, calling attention to reports, nor summoning staff to fix your issues over. It is also not the channel for bashing other games. During an event, please keep all game discussion off the channel.
The general channel is for IC chat only. General chatter is good here and, if you rather be less secure IC, you may call for activities on it.
The tactical channel is for important IC matters, including activity discussions.
The say command is IC at all times.
Phones are IC at all times. Going OOC with these, and other IC channels will result in a loss of points if it continues post being warned to stop.
4. Please realize that staff have lives too. We will address your situation as soon as possible so do not flip out over the channels if we aren't able to get to your support quickly. We will do our best to be respectful of you and ask the same courtesy to be returned.
5. If you feel that you are being harassed by another player of the game or member of the staff, please let us know. Give as much detail as you possibly can on this matter, as we cannot do anything if we do not know when things took place and the context in which the incident occurred. Bear in mind, conflict will happen IC so try to keep your issues on the IC level. If something feels OOC, let us know.
6. We do not have many rules as pertains to what people can roleplay. We do ask that you speak with us before attempting a rape story though. This subject is a very delicate matter and we wish to keep away from it as much as possible.
7. Workarounds are a classic issue that players like to try doing. These are against policy. Some examples are as follows.
Hoarding items from a character that you are retiring to give to your new character and giving away large sums of money before you retire are against policy.
Giving others items they are not qualified to use in terms of points will have consequences, some IC.
Giving a new pilot large sums of money is against policy.
Purchasing expensive items for a new pilot by transferring said funds to them, is against policy.
8. User Accounts:
Each player is responsible for his or her own unique account. It is prohibited for you to give out your account information to anyone. You are responsible for what is done as your character on the game.
If you are in a setting in which you will have multiple people at the same IP address wishing to play Vast Horizon, the staff must be notified so that we can accommodate the situation. All characters in a single household must keep their respective accounts and characters autonomous, separate and should avoid the sharing of account information.
We have a one character per user account rule. If it comes to our attention that you are trying to play multiple characters with multiple user accounts yourself, all but the newest character of the issue will be deleted and the account(s) associated with that character will be banned. If the behavior continues, a temporary ban will be placed on all associated accounts. If further issues come from the same person the ban will be extended to a permanent ban.
9. Policy violations:
How violations of our policies are dealt with is judged by the staff on a case by case basis, as well as the seriousness and frequency of the offense.
If you have received warnings for violations and find points gone, that will be why. We will open a ticket explaining what actions we took with your points.
Deductions will be as follows.
First deduction, 10%. Second would be 20%, and next would be other methods of punishment depending on the seriousness of the violation. If said violation is not serious enough for a ban but warrants action be taken, it will go up in increments of 10%.
10. Player banning:
When a ban occurs as the result of a serious policy violation, staff will determine the time limit of the ban. This will be dependent upon the seriousness of the violation or violations. A player ban means that the person cannot connect to the server, and assumes the person in their acts is either injurious either to the game, itself, or the server. No player ban should be considered lightly and represents a major breach of conduct. Note, you will not be banned without warning nor a discussion of the issues.
If a player who is serving their allotted time for a ban attempts to circumvent their suspension of their privilege to connect to the game through any means such as connecting via an IP mask, resetting their router in order that your IP should change, or using a Proxy to establish connection, or through other means, then such will be regarded as an unwarranted act against the server. Such an act against the server and the game is a serious and grave violation of the policy of Vast Horizon and is a breach of integrity and trust by the player in question. Such a violation of trust by this person as a player will, in its effect, results in this person being immediately and permanently banned from the entire server. In addition, one should note that any such illegal act against the server by any person shall be reported to any ISP and/or authorities necessary at that time, including a full log of their actions.
11. Server Connection:
When accessing the server, a player usually will connect to the game in a straightforward manner as through a client, where this access to the server is seen to be standard or normal access. A player needing to repeatedly connect to the server due to some circumstance also can be viewed as its normal use. However, if you encounter sporadic connection and other such problems as may be related to the server, contact the staff to resolve such issues.
When any person floods the server with connections or conducts other such behavior, then such is regarded as the abnormal access to the server, and is regarded as an attack upon the server. Such, then is subject to the assessment of the administrators and will be considered accordingly.
Any activity or attack as seen to be directed against the server by anyone is strictly prohibited and is not in any manner or form acceptable. All malicious activity as seen to be against the server will be subsequently acted upon pursuant to all that is as allowed by law including the submission of server logs. Any person as a player who conducts such acts against the server is subject to an immediate permanent player ban from Vast Horizon.
This policy was last modified: 12/04/20 at 8:34 a.m.
Return to the Policies. (Opens in a new window)