Vast Horizon Policies
The following are some player conduct items. You are expected to abide by this policy to help us maintain a fun, friendly environment for all.
Note: Out of character, (OOC) In character (IC.)
1. Please be respectful of others while playing Vast Horizon. The constant bashing of sexual orientation, religious beliefs and racism will not be tolerated. In character, we are not telling you that you must like or agree with race, religion or sexual orientation, just be careful with it. The chances of staff allowing a zealous character who wants to be a jerk and throw racial slurs at everybody are zero.
2. Berating a player Out of character because they may not be as proficient behind the keyboard as you is not tolerated. People come from all walks of life, speak many languages and have many disabilities. Please be mindful of this before you start making fun of somebody. Helping others out is a good thing but do so without being rude.
3. We have various channels for a reason and ask that you abide by the guidelines for each channel. You can get more information in the communicating help file.
4. The staff of this game are real people just like you. You are to respect a member of staff, just as respect will be given to you. This includes all interactions, be they a private support, on global channels, when handling a situation in a live setting, or any other method. Please allow for up to three weeks before becoming concerned about a lack of response to a support ticket or report. The hosts do their best to respond to matters as fast as possible. This game was brought to you for your enjoyment and the hosts do their utmost to continue to make it an enjoyable environment for everyone, and that takes a lot of work.
5. If you feel that you are being harassed by another player of the game or member of the staff, please let us know. Give as much detail as you possibly can on this matter, as we cannot do anything if we do not know when things took place and the context in which the incident occurred. Date, time, and room or rooms that the incident occurred would be most helpful. Bear in mind, conflict will happen in character (IC), keep it on that level, unless it becomes an actual out of character (OOC) problem. If something feels like it has progressed to an out of character (OOC) problem, let us know in a support ticket. Do not take the issue to a global out of character channel.
6. We do not have many rules as pertains to what people can roleplay. We do ask that you read The roleplay policy, and/or speak with us before attempting a storyline that may deal with sensitive issues. The act of rape and molestation are prohibited. The act of suicide that would force The player base to deal with it is prohibited. However, The act of discussing these things as though they happened to you prior to coming above ground is not against policy. If you attempt The act of these stories, everyone is going to assume it likely happened to you because your character will be removed from The game.
These subjects are very delicate matters and we wish to keep away from it as much as possible. If you need to step away due to one of these issues being discussed, you may state so in a respectful way. Either by OOC or on CWS if the OOC timer has not elapsed. Feel free to also send us a support if you are finding too much discomfort due to these issues, we are here to help.
If you see one of these issues being played out, alert us right away.
7. Workarounds are against policy. They will have consequences. The consequences will reflect the offense. Some examples may include, but are not limited to:
Hording items from your retiring persona, which are then to be given to your new character.
Handing out all your cash and or items possessions before you retire a character.
The giving of large sums of money to a newbie flagged character for any reason.
The purchase of expensive items for the express purpose of giving them to a newbie flagged character. Regardless of who initiates it, or what method is used.
8. OOC and IC
Being that this is a roleplay intensive (RPI) game, you are to remain IC as much as possible. Staff has been lenient with channels such as CWS up to the writing of this policy. We have noticed a few things that we wish to get changed quickly. We too are guilty of this and are working to rectify it on our end. Because if we don't do it, why should we expect you to do it?
With the exceptions stated in Section 6 of this policy, where a player feels extreme discomfort with an in character situation due to out of character issues, using out of character methods in an attempt to remove yourself from in character consequences of a situation is not acceptable. Within reasonable limits the other characters are allowed to react, the way the character would react in a normal fashion.
If you notice a good bit of roleplay happening on the channels, please refrain from beginning a conversation on CWS. It tends to squash the IC interaction. This is, first and foremost, a roleplay game.
9. User Accounts:
Each player is responsible for his or her own unique account. It is prohibited for you to give out your account information to anyone. You are responsible for what is done as your character on the game.
If you are in a setting in which you will have multiple people at the same IP address wishing to play Vast Horizon, the staff must be notified so that we can accommodate the situation. All characters in a single household must keep their respective accounts and characters autonomous, separate and should avoid the sharing of account information.
We have a one character per user account rule. If it comes to our attention that you are trying to play multiple characters with multiple user accounts yourself, all but the newest character of the issue will be deleted and the account(s) associated with that character will be banned. If the behavior continues, a temporary ban will be placed on all associated accounts. If further issues come from the same person the ban will be extended to a permanent ban.
10. Policy violations:
How violations of our policies are dealt with is judged by the staff on a case by case basis, as well as the seriousness and frequency of the offense.
If you have received warnings for violations and find points gone, that will be why. We will open a ticket explaining what actions we took with your points.
Deductions will be as follows.
First deduction, 10%. Second would be 20%, and next would be other methods of punishment depending on the seriousness of the violation. If said violation is not serious enough for a ban but warrants action be taken, it will go up in increments of 10%.
11. Player banning:
When a ban occurs as the result of a serious policy violation, staff will determine the time limit of the ban. This will be dependent upon the seriousness of the violation or violations. A player ban means that the person cannot connect to the server, and assumes the person in their acts is either injurious either to the game, itself, or the server. No player ban should be considered lightly and represents a major breach of conduct. Note, you will not be banned without warning nor a discussion of the issues.
If a player who is serving their allotted time for a ban attempts to circumvent their suspension of their privilege to connect to the game through any means such as connecting via an IP mask, resetting their router in order that your IP should change, or using a Proxy to establish connection, or through other means, then such will be regarded as an unwarranted act against the server. Such an act against the server and the game is a serious and grave violation of the policy of Vast Horizon and is a breach of integrity and trust by the player in question. Such a violation of trust by this person as a player will, in its effect, result in this person being immediately and permanently banned from the entire server. In addition, one should note that any such illegal act against the server by any person shall be reported to any ISP and/or authorities necessary at that time, including a full log of their actions.
12. Server Connection:
When accessing the server, a player usually will connect to the game in a straightforward manner as through a client, where this access to the server is seen to be standard or normal access. A player needing to repeatedly connect to the server due to some circumstance also can be viewed as its normal use. However, if you encounter sporadic connection and other such problems as may be related to the server, contact the staff to resolve such issues. You may do this by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or through a support ticket.
When any person floods the server with connections or conducts other such behavior, then such is regarded as the abnormal access to the server, and is regarded as an attack upon the server. Such, then is subject to the assessment of the administrators and will be considered accordingly.
Any activity or attack as seen to be directed against the server by anyone is strictly prohibited and is not in any manner or form acceptable. All malicious activity as seen to be against the server will be subsequently acted upon pursuant to all that is as allowed by law including the submission of server logs. Any person as a player who conducts such acts against the server is subject to an immediate permanent player ban from Vast Horizon.
This policy was last modified: 05/06/22 at 2:47 p.m.
Return to the Policies. (Opens in a new window)